Education Youth Specialist
Family Care Network, has an immediate opening for a Education Youth Specialist. The Education Youth Specialist in association with the Department of Social Services, County Office of Education and an FCNI, will serve as a role model and partner with youth in developing a strength-based needs-driven plan that enhances youth movement toward self-sufficiency and community reliance upon departure from the program. The Education Youth Specialist will assist with educational case management and coordination at the direction of their supervisor. The Education Youth Specialist will provide focused support for assigned students in the Lucia Mar School District that relates to prevention & early intervention services. The Education Youth Specialist must be flexible in schedule availability and able to provide services when clients need them, which can include evenings and weekends in order to ensure coordination and continuity of services in accordance to FCNI’s Best Practices and contractual obligations.
FCNI is a progressive, dynamic organization with a 34-year history serving San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara counties through multiple programs designed to strengthen and preserve families and individuals impacted by trauma. Programs are delivered in partnership with public and private agencies and the community. With our "grow your own" philosophy, FCNI provides excellent advancement opportunities.
FCNI provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law. In addition to federal law requirements, FCNI complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Due to the State Public Health Officer Order issued by the State of California: All workers who provide services or work in Health Care Facilities, including Behavioral Health are required to show proof of a COVID19 Vaccination.
Workers may be exempt from the vaccination requirements only upon providing FCNI's Human Resources department a declination form, signed by the individual stating either of the following: (1) the worker is declining vaccination based on Religious Beliefs, or (2) the worker is excused from receiving any COVID-19 vaccine due to Qualifying Medical Reasons
a. To be eligible for a Qualified Medical Reasons exemption the worker must also provide to FCNI's Human Resources department a written statement signed by a physician, nurse practitioner, or other licensed medical professional practicing under the license of a physician stating that the individual qualifies for the exemption (but the statement should not describe the underlying medical condition or disability) and indicating the probable duration of the worker’s inability to receive the vaccine (or if the duration is unknown or permanent, so indicate).
b. If you meet the requirements of the vaccination exemption; All unvaccinated workers are required to test weekly for COVID19.
c. Wear a surgical mask or higher-level respirator approved by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), such as an N95 filtering facepiece respirator, at all times while in the facility.
Compensation and Benefits
- Full-Time position in San Luis Obispo County
- 40 hour work week consists of 5 days a week, 8 hour days.
- Be flexible in schedule availability which includes weekends and evenings
- Must be flexible in schedule availability and able to work with individuals in person
- Flexible remote and in-office work environment
- Starting Hourly Rate: $18.00 plus bilingual differential of $1.50 per hour if applicable
- Benefits: health, dental, vision, life insurance, 17 days paid vacation per year to start & 12 paid holidays per year, 403(b) retirement plan
- Focused support related to school adjustment/persistence & academic achievement.
- Attend Homeless & Foster Youth Services Advisory Council meetings in October, January, and May.
- Communicate regularly with Homeless & Foster Youth Services staff.
- Specific duties of a Youth Specialist may include any or all of the following:
- Provide expertise in the area of life skills management and youth empowerment
- Partner with youth in developing strength-based goals, including CSEC prevention, social media safety, and encouraged participation in activities related to trauma recovery
- Focused support related to school adjustment/persistence & academic achievement
- Serve as a positive role model and mentor to youth
- Schedule and conduct regular youth support, including life skills training
- Meet individually with foster and homeless youth, in coordination with school staff, as a resource person to assist them in:
- Coping with stressful or difficult situations.
- Understanding and adjusting to new services being provided
- Guiding youth through juvenile court, the child welfare system, special education or other system-related processes
- Recognizing and celebrating youth accomplishments and successes
- Participate in staff meetings, treatment team meetings, and child and family meetings as assigned
- The Education Youth Specialist shall perform other duties as assigned.
- It is preferred that a Education Youth Specialist has personal experience as a served population in foster care and/or homelessness, with knowledge and experience in utilizing or coordinating mental health support and services.
- It is preferred for a Education Youth Specialist to have at minimum, graduated from high school or successfully completed a high school equivalency exam.
- The Education Youth Specialist shall meet all state criminal record and health screening clearance requirements, and possess: a valid California Driver’s License, automobile insurance and an acceptable DMV record, if applicable.