The Family Care Network, Inc. has openings for the Housing Navigator position. In partnership with the Department of Social Services, the Housing Support Program (HSP) provides affordable housing for homeless families or those at-risk of becoming homeless. Program participants are provided necessary case management services for life skills development, one-on-one guidance, work group classes and community linkage to ensure their successful transition to self-sufficiency post care. The Housing Navigator serves as a dedicated housing specialist staff within the program; acting as a liaison between program participants and landlords, recruiting and developing landlord partners, and identifying vacant housing units to help the program participants obtain housing. The Housing Navigator must be flexible in schedule availability and able to provide services when participants and landlords need them, which can include evenings and weekends in order to ensure coordination and continuity of services in accordance with FCNI's Best Practices and contractual obligations.
FCNI is a progressive, dynamic, organization with a 33-year history of serving San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara counties through multiple programs designed to strengthen and preserve families and individuals impacted by trauma. The agency is the Central Coast’s largest private children’s foster family and mental health services provider, with 200 employees and 21 unique programs serving over 22,000 children & families during its 33-year history. Excellent advancement opportunities.
FCNI provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law. In addition to federal law requirements, FCNI complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Compensation and Benefits
- Full-Time or Part-Time positions in San Luis Obispo County
- Must be flexible in schedule availability and able to work with individuals in person
- Flexible remote and in-office work environment
- Position requires frequent travel using a personal vehicle. Mileage reimbursed at $0.50 per mile
- Starting Hourly Rate: $22.00 plus Spanish bilingual differential of $1.50 p/h if applicable
- Benefits: health, dental, vision, life insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, 17 days of PTO per year to start, and 12 paid holidays per year
- The Housing Navigator is responsible for landlord recruitment, identifying vacant housing units and routine check-ins with landlords.
- Provide mediation and advocacy with landlords on the program participant’s behalf to develop a workable plan to obtain and or maintain housing.
- Assist participants in locating and securing housing of their choice.
- Conduct housing inspections to ensure housing meets habitability and safety standards.
- Create recruitment material for distribution to potential landlords.
- Collaborate and communicate with the Case Manager and the County ERS to promote a successful tenancy.
- Serve as an ongoing liaison between property managers and participants as well as between participants and neighbors.
- Apply knowledge of residential lease contracts to educate clients of their rights and responsibilities
- A Bachelor’s or Associate's Degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration or a related field of study, and experience in working with persons in social services, or human services oriented public/private organization; or
- A High School Diploma or equivalency exam and two years of experience in working with persons in social services, or human services oriented public/private organization
- Must have prior work experience in real estate, leasing, or property management
- Must be knowledgeable of California landlord/tenant laws
- Possess excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Be of good character and reputation; professional; communicate effectively verbally and in writing; and ability to follow all state regulations, agency policy and procedures
- The Housing Navigator shall meet all state criminal record and health screening clearance requirements, and possess: a valid California Driver’s License, automobile insurance and an acceptable DMV record